My dear Dr Seng
On 1 April, my dear Dr Seng died suddenly. He was only 68 and had semi-retired, leaving all things obstetrics to his son Shay Way. He was introduced to me in March 1978 by the gynae who delivered Mischa (Prof Goon, who then too was retiring). He always had so much time for his patients, had a great sense of humour, and had incredible warmth. I always gave him a hug; which at first, in the early days, he was not too comfortable with - trust me to do it, but as the years went by, he hugged good. I remember tripping and falling on all fours when I was pregnant and rushed down to see him, and while being very careful with his checks, was so very reassuring. At my final pregnancy check up - I was carrying Noelle - he found that she was in distress, and proceeded to have the nurse call the hospital, shut down his clinic - it was 4.00 pm, and drove me to Mt Alvernia, registered me, sat with me holding my hand, found me biscuits while the drip did its work, met Adrian when he arrived; and was with me till I delivered. I recall him laughing at me because i was panting like an idiot and I heaved back - "You try this !!!" at which we both burst out laughing. He also had time for husbands of his patients - He boosted Adrian's self-confidence a few months after his attack, saying that a heart attack is NOT a life sentence. And the poor guy gets one in someone's car, and just passes off. I hear the hospital surgeon - his friend - opened his chest to massage his heart (yikes) but to no avail. He was cremated this afternoon; leaving his wife and family to mourn the loss of a wonderful person, a caring doctor whose bedside manners were exemplary, and someone who genuinely just had time for you. I was due to see him this month. And for Noelle herself to have him as her gynae, for Mischa to have him as her gynae, and for him to take care of Mischa during her pregnancy, become friends with Edward, and deliver Caitlin safely was really priceless. Here is a photo of him with her. Doesn't his look imply that she's the only baby he ever delivered ? That's our Dr. Seng. We will miss him.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home