And you only thought spurs were the things behind cowboy boots
Well, they are also heel bone extensions which grow to fill the space at the heel where the under-foot ligament has been stretched or torn, usually from prolonged standing (teachers are prone) or from wear and tear. I discovered on 16 June that I had spurs on both feet; the symptoms manifested themselves quite painfully during my standing marathon for my ministerial forum. The X-ray below shows my right foot with the spur clearly shown at the base of the heel bone. I have finished 2 sessions of $320 per pop shock therapy which involves 8 minutes of deep-tissue healing which sounds less painful than it is. It is working - my ligament was swollen to 5.9 mm and now it's 4.5 mm (normal is 3.8) and I am now able to walk most of the day without heel pain; I feel it when I get out of bed and before the end of the day. I am thankful for that; it used to hurt much more before this. Prior to being fitted with arches, I walked on tip toe all day or limped and it was quite uncomfortable. Those with high arches, watch out because standing and walking all day puts your feet squarely on the ground - with your weight on them - and this causes the ligament to stretch with weight on it, hence the inflammation and then them spurs. I am now equipped with high-arch supports, custom made, which cost $350! Walking all day with them is also helping my inflammation to ease. The saddest part of all this is of course that I cannot wear my strappy sandals and open-toed slippers and shoes, at last count about 50 pairs. Even my court shoes can't take my supports. Orthotic shoes which will take my arch supports cost $300 and worst of all, they are damn ugly. Sigh. I am going to persist wearing my supports as often as I can and for as long as I have to, and then hopefully be able to wear my lovely non-court shoes once again; if not all day, then at least for a small part of it. When you look around you and see people who cannot walk, you feel thankful that it's just spurs.

5 Comments:
You crazy woman, no-one wants to see your spurs!
p.s. No need to buy cowboy boots anyway - yours inbuilt.
Ah Ha, you laugh, Missy. There is a spur at the top of the heel bone where I sprained my ankle many years ago.... you sprained your ankle too, didn't you ?
em said....oh dear that looks
painful but at least it is getting slightly better.
What kind of mother curses feet injuries upon her daughter!
Why am I looking at x rays when I'm having breakfast!!!
Mish
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home