Tuesday, June 01, 2010

More from New Orleans

Sorry for the long absence - Blogger's Upload Function and I are not the best of friends.
So - here are more photos from 'NooOrrleans' where the music was so enjoyable, the people were friendly - if you stayed away from shootings - and the food good. The best hotdog I ever tasted was at New Orleans Airport; US$8 for the tastiest, most succulent, most spicy piece of ambrosia.
Here are photos in no particular order because when I try to move the photos, I tend to lose them!
Lake Ponchantrain, which was the first to swell, breaking the levees. The name of this Lake features in one of George Strait's songs, so it was a bit of a thrill.
Before sailing off, the Natchez has someone play some tunes with the steam pipes. Very nice.

Last mission for New Orleans - ride the Streetcar. We took it into St Charles Parish to see the homes.


Now why can't we have a Borders like this ?

One of the homes in the Parish. Some of the homes in this district were affected by the floods.


A Belle of the Bayou, working at I-Hop. We ate here a lot. Service, food and prices were good.

I totally enjoyed the music of this trio - Jazz standards.


An old plantation house along the Mississippi. That's the levee protecting the land, which is very low.

Signs of damage still exist of course.


See how low-lying the homes are ? No wonder the floods were so bad.

I can't recall what this building was but I love the architecture.

We rode one of the last two steam riverboats; the other is in Ohio.


The Bird Man

One delicious T-Bone at I-HOP, which apparently stands for International House of Pancakes. Which explains the pancakes.

At Bourbon Street. That's Edward's cigars I am carrying.

More lovely music at Steamboat Willie's


The view from our room. The entire green area there was where the night jazz sessions were held during that French Quarter Festival.

Adrian's favourite Big Easy Pub. There is a branch now open in Sentosa.

Adrian's favourite Po-Boy Beef Sandwich.

You can play for me anytime, Honey

A charming way to tour the French Quarter

Abe was there too.

St Louis Cathedral; 5 minutes away from Bourbon

Sooooo nice to listen to.. The honky tonk player was Chinese!

After the shooting at McDonalds.


Rolling cigars














1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pooch,

Lovely photos, I love it when you update your blog.

D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home